Arco Iris Spanish Immersion School

Skip to main content
Mobile Menu
Curriculum » Immersion Program

Immersion Program

 Arco Iris follows the 80/20 model of Spanish Immersion in elementary school. Students learn academic content in Spanish for 80% of the day. The other 20% of the day, the language of instruction is English. In Middle School, Arco Iris follows the 50/50 model. Half of the day Spanish is used as the language of instruction and the other half of the day English is the language of instruction.

Core Characteristics of Bilingual Education

  • Additive bilingualism with sustained and enriched instruction through the minority language and the majority language is promoted
  • Subject area instruction through the minority language occurs for at least 50% of the school day during the elementary school years
  • Teachers are fully proficient in the language(s) they use for instruction
  • Support for the majority language is strong and present in the community at large
  • Clear and sustained separation of languages during instructional time
 
More Articles or Videos About Being Bilingual