Arco Iris is a one way immersion program, which means the majority of the academic content is presented in Spanish. In grades K-5, the immersion ratio is 65-80% Spanish and 20-35% English. In middle school, the ratio is 50:50.
Core Characteristics of Bilingual Education
- Additive bilingualism with sustained and enriched instruction through the minority language and the majority language is promoted
- Subject area instruction through the minority language occurs for at least 50% of the school day during the elementary school years
- Teachers are fully proficient in the language(s) they use for instruction
- Support for the majority language is strong and present in the community at large
- Clear and sustained separation of languages during instructional time
More Articles or Videos About Being Bilingual