The move to our new building will allow us to grow to our full capacity, an important milestone we have been pursuing for some time. But managing our larger size will also require us to change some of our procedures, including afternoon pick up. Morning drop off by car will operate as it does now, and afternoon pick up will resemble the neighborhood schools procedure and will be familiar to those of you who have attended a neighborhood school or have a middle schooler at the Whitford campus now.
The biggest change you will see is that we no longer will park and walk into the school building for pick up and drop off.
Change can be a challenge so the administration will be participating in the drop off and pick up times, working with teachers and staff, and listening to parent feedback to make sure that this process is a safe and efficient as it can be, as quickly as possible. Please be patient as we all adjust to this change, and don't worry about doing it wrong!
Morning Drop Off:
Afternoon Pick Up:
Can I still park and walk my child into school in the morning or walk in to pick them up after school?
- Not in the same way you are accustomed to walking them in or out of school now.
Afternoon Pick Up ID Procedure
The new method of afternoon pick up, on such a large scale, is a new procedure for our school and we expect the process to take some time for everyone to become accustomed to the change. We ask that you arrive to pick up ready to be patient and positive while we navigate the process of adjusting to this change.
- Pick up will follow the same circulation pattern as morning drop off. DO NOT ARRIVE BEFORE 3:15 PM OR YOU WILL BE ASKED TO MOVE.
- Pick up will be managed using a family automobile identification system.
- Each family will be assigned their own family ID number.
- Two laminated ID cards, with your family ID number, and a backpack tag with a zip tie, will be sent home with your child on April 2nd.
- This card needs to be taped to the inside lower right corner of your family cars so that they are easily visible
- The backpack tag needs to be immediately zip tied to your child’s backpack
- As drivers enter the parking lot the attendants will call the ID numbers ahead so those children will be able to move toward the front of the pickup staging area. *On April 2nd the attendants will ask drivers for student names since ID cards will not be taped in windows.
- Cars will pull into the pickup zone, which is the same as the morning drop off zone, where their kids will get into their cars. These cars will then all pull forward and out of the parking lot, and the next group of cars will pull into the pickup zone.
- Families who have an additional driver who routinely picks up in the afternoons need to email the office to request an additional family ID card.
- Families need to instruct older siblings to locate younger siblings when they reach the pickup staging area at the end of the day.
- Families who participate in carpooling need to coordinate with each other to share family automobile ID numbers. Children in carpools should gather together with older children locating younger children in the pickup staging area. Please write carpool ID numbers on your child’s laminated hang tag in permanent marker.
- While in the parking lot, please pull up close to the car in front of you, allowing the most cars possible to fit in the queue.
- Students will only be allowed to go to cars that are in the pickup zone facing the building, after passing through the circular turnaround. Students will not be allowed to walk through the parking lot to go to a car that hasn’t yet traveled through the turnaround.
- If a student is delayed for any reason the office will communicate this information with the parking lot attendants, who will then instruct any driver who has made it to the front of the pickup zone to circle back around through the queue.
- We ask that every family prepares for this change with the understanding that it will take some time to get used to this new pick up procedure. As we all get accustomed to this new process the school will not send your children to Buenas Tardes until all cars in the pickup queue have made it through the parking lot, even if this time is after 3:45.
- Cars must only turn right when exiting the parking lot, just like morning drop off. Cutting through the neighboring building parking lot is not permitted.
- Street parking is not allowed on Creekside Place but is allowed on Stratus, about 500 feet away.
- Families will no longer have the option to walk to their child’s classroom to pick them up. Families do have the option to park and walk to the front of the school to pick up your child without driving through the pickup queue but will need to plan ahead and arrive early. Remember that means you will likely need to arrive by 3:00 pm to safely access a parking spot and will need to wait until 3:45-4:00 before the parking lot will likely clear enough for you to safely pull out.
- We are accustomed to being able to touch base with our child’s teacher at pickup when we have something we want to talk about. This will now change because of the new pick up procedure and the preferred method of communication for teacher questions will be through email.